Words you're tired of seeing in listings

inonada

This one hits "curated", "meticulous", and "discerning" all in the first 2 sentences. Also adds in a "never before" (close cousin of "first time").

15 CPW, PH43 is a meticulous work of art designed with the most discerning eye. The interiors of this never before offered residence were curated for the current and original owners and designed to the highest quality by Tony Ingrao.

"Never before has anyone bought this 14-year-old renovation". Wow, I am impressed.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Wait, how could we have missed “luxury”? 2K listings.

About 30 years ago there was a sign on a tenement building on 8th Avenue in Chelsea "Luxury Condos." After looking at the units my foremost thought was "who's concept of luxury doesn't include an elevator?"

inonada

The term “luxury” was a shock for me when I first came to NYC, as I’m sure it continues to be. From the Oxford Dictionary:

the state of great comfort and extravagant living

I think what happened is that standard for NYC got frozen to whatever it was when George and Weezy Jefferson moved on up to their deluxe apartment in the sky. So Oxford should make a special slot:

When pertaining to NYC real estate, the state of great comfort and extravagant living, as it existed in 1975 when GDP per capita was 1/8th what it is today

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
This one hits "curated", "meticulous", and "discerning" all in the first 2 sentences. Also adds in a "never before" (close cousin of "first time").

"Never before has anyone bought this 14-year-old renovation". Wow, I am impressed.

wait, you cant triple stamp a double stamp...Lloyd! Lloyd!

inonada

I've wondered what's gonna be the name for the next tier. It seems the "luxury" covers $1-2K ppsf. And "ultra luxury" $3-6K ppsf. But now if developers start building (say) $7-14K ppsf with more regularity, then brokers selling them are going to need a new word. I thought it'd be "uber luxury", but if that's being taken up by $800K 1BRs, then they're gonna need to find something else.

How about "bespoke luxury"? That'd be perfect: sounds fancy, but in the spirit of "luxury" a total butchering of what the word means. Floor after floor of apts that are exactly the same, but now we'll call them bespoke.

inonada

This may be the only listing with the words “Pen Houses”, but I’m already tired of seeing it.

One of the best Pen Houses in Manhattan. The apt occupied entire floor, has 360 degree view , including water view of Hudson River from each room and private terrace, Central Park View, Full city view of Manhattan. Apt features hardwood floor, in unit Washer/Dryer, Top brand kitchen appliances. Each bedroom has obstacle view.

Also, “obstacle view”. I’m tired of that one too.

CBinNY

Sure, most/many of these adjectives are ridiculous. I think you missed (or maybe i missed); “curated.” But seriously, guys, give us agents a break; there are only so many adjectives for any given word you can use without sounding ridiculous. None of us are like George Will, gratefully or hopefully, tossing out words determined to make readers feel less intelligent by grabbing a dictionary.

Only a few teams can afford a professional writer on staff who can draft compelling listing copy. For the rest of us, how would you describe a 24’ X 24’ living room in nyc as “large” without using a common adjective, one that isn’t ridiculous? I mean, look it up in a thesaurus. Wouldn’t it be critical to use a descriptive word regarding its size in the copy instead of expecting most people to envision what a LR that size feels or looks like if they lack context?

I learned luxury isn't always what they make it out to be. Every new co-op conversion in the 80's-90s was a 'luxury building' as posted on a white aluminum side nailed to the building.

Similarly I learned that a 'five-star' hotel as posted by Liberty travel circa the 80s, had nothing to do with a five-star hotel!

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
Sure, most/many of these adjectives are ridiculous. I think you missed (or maybe i missed); “curated.” But seriously, guys, give us agents a break; there are only so many adjectives for any given word you can use without sounding ridiculous. None of us are like George Will, gratefully or hopefully, tossing out words determined to make readers feel less intelligent by grabbing a dictionary.

Only a few teams can afford a professional writer on staff who can draft compelling listing copy. For the rest of us, how would you describe a 24’ X 24’ living room in nyc as “large” without using a common adjective, one that isn’t ridiculous? I mean, look it up in a thesaurus. Wouldn’t it be critical to use a descriptive word regarding its size in the copy instead of expecting most people to envision what a LR that size feels or looks like if they lack context?
I declare breaks for all agents on this matter and announce this thread for pure entertainment and enjoyment purposes only

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Not necessarily on listings, but brokers describing their services as "global." All Real Estate is local, if not hyper-local. Agents used to specialize in neighborhoods.