Stock Market Peak in 2021??

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
My feeling is that this fed induced mania will come to a stop sometime in 2021 as we purge excesses of malinvestment due to a massive search for yield. Credit spreads, an indicator of short term lending stress, peaked in spring 2020 as the pandemic hit and has since narrowed to the levels seen pre-covid as evidence by this chart.

1611156604315.png

This ofcourse fueled an epic rally in risk assets as the Fed and Govt try to reflate against deflatoinary forces. The result is this on the SP 500 index:

1611156715613.png

If you notice when the credit markets blew out and spreads widened, risk OFF took hold of the stock market. Same is true on the flip side. As spreads narrow, a risk ON trade will take hold, to the suprise of many. This is where we find ourselves now, at the peak of an extreme move.

I expect the meltup to continue as a new administration takes the first 100 days to introduce new relief and aid packages. I wouldnt be suprised to see them GO BIG, as Janet Yellen has been recently talking about. This could fuel a final surge in risk assets that could ultimately mark the euphoric peak of this crazy cycle. Ill be watching credit spreads for widening for any risk OFF signals.

2020 was chaotic, awful, and a year to forget
2021 may be its fraternal twin, different, but very similar underneath

Is all of this normal? Ofcourse not. Normal left town years ago. But it is what it is, and after we get through the insolvency phase of this down cycle that is likely to hit hard this year, one can make the argument that what lies ahead may be someting we havent seen in decades, since the 70s; inflation. Looking ahead, if 2009 was 2020, and 2010 is 2021, then we got the high growth years of 2011 through 2015 ahead of us to start out the 2020s decade. I actually think our markets will see a stronger and longer duration growth cycle that surpasses the cycle following the great financial crisis, driven by nobody's friend...inflation. We just need to get past this year.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
If inflation leads to higher mortgage rates the party is over for Real Estate. Especially if the recent reports of less "all cash" deals and more financing are accurate.

Noah Rosenblatt

Staff member
If inflation leads to higher mortgage rates the party is over for Real Estate. Especially if the recent reports of less "all cash" deals and more financing are accurate.
Certainly a risk, I would think more towards the end of the cycle, but I expect the Fed to initiate some form of yield curve control over the next few years should rates rise to fast

Noah Rosenblatt

Staff member
Crashing up.
Yes, first melt UP..that will set the stage for the melt down, prob driven by policy errors from fed in response to the escalating asset price inflation and other inflation signals.

Signals to look for that the stock crash may be near:

1. credit spreads will widen as money flows to treasuries and away from riskier corporate bonds
2. US dollar will rise
3. Treasury yields will fall
4. Volatilty will increase
5. Fed may start repo loans to calm first signs of stress

1611412772613.png

Noah Rosenblatt

Staff member
I'd bet less on crash and more on 70s style stagflation.
funny John, you know my theories as we talk 50x a day on skype...the forum sees us talking for the first time on these topics. Im still betting on a dot com level crash, fast and fierce, purges all the excess of this fed QE cycle, then we head towards 70s inflation, slow at first, but ramping up year after year once we get to 2023-2024-2025, etc

John Walkup

Ha! Mine is more of a daily wager. Aka each day we don't crash is a day we don't crash ... not much wisdom there, unfortunately! Noah's theory is more thought out and offers a better payout (if right) at the end!