Pocket Listings Yes or No?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
And let me point out how the majority of sellers in Manhattan right now are expecting to get over market. I've never seen a down market where sellers perception was that they were "losing money" (even when they were selling for more than they paid, but that's a long different subject) where they didn't try to squeeze every last nickel out of a sale.

Reactions: MCR

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
You could ask various brokers you know if they specifically make that part of their pitch. For the sellers I have spoken to who have been pitched the concept, not a single one has said the agent pitching mentioned that. I don't think it's valid for agents to just assume a seller somehow knows it if they pitch all the alleged benefits and are silent on that drawback.
Never assume. Right. In a transactional marketplace, I would guess most of these situations prob play out like you describe here

Noah Rosenblatt

Staff member
And let me point out how the majority of sellers in Manhattan right now are expecting to get over market. I've never seen a down market where sellers perception was that they were "losing money" (even when they were selling for more than they paid, but that's a long different subject) where they didn't try to squeeze every last nickel out of a sale.
I think most buyers/sellers will ignore transaction costs when looking at pnl for re trades. Thats the killer and why you dont see much speculative short term flipping in this market. That and coop nature of our housing stock

MCR

I suspect there are some sellers who are unaware they are leaving money on the table, but nobody really cares about this on the high end. Do you see this going on with run-of-the-mill properties? That would be cause for concern for me from a consumer protection POV.

Noah Rosenblatt

Staff member
I suspect there are some sellers who are unaware they are leaving money on the table, but nobody really cares about this on the high end. Do you see this going on with run-of-the-mill properties? That would be cause for concern for me from a consumer protection POV.
right, the high end can care less. Great question on run of the mill side, we only have forums like these to hear about cases and situations. Like David mentions below...wish there was a way to track this somehow, so we have to just assume its out there and how prevalent I guess

Noah Rosenblatt

Staff member
You could ask various brokers you know if they specifically make that part of their pitch. For the sellers I have spoken to who have been pitched the concept, not a single one has said the agent pitching mentioned that. I don't think it's valid for agents to just assume a seller somehow knows it if they pitch all the alleged benefits and are silent on that drawback.
Agree. Really need a batch of sellers for this survey. I feel if I ask my colleagues they will tell me half truths