Manhattan Retail Scrapbook

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
On 1st Ave between 11th St & 12th St six of the twelve storefronts are vacant. Including the famous Rossman Repair whose owner Louis Rossman did a YouTube series on the difficulty small businesses have finding reasonable spaces.
#realestate #vacancy #rossmanrepair #louisrossman

IMG_20210628_201129_269.jpg

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
This set of 3 vacant storefronts on East 23rd Street makes me sad. The pizza spot was opened by 2 brothers during the pandemic and I guess they just couldn't hold on (although it seems like bad planning to open during a pandemic without the resources to hang on for a year with no revenue). But the turnover here has been unreal. The spot before them was open barely a year as well, and I think when these 3 spaces re-open it will make 9 different businesses in these 3 storefronts in 4 years.
IMG_20210626_210942_107.jpg

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
On 1st Ave between 11th St & 12th St six of the twelve storefronts are vacant. Including the famous Rossman Repair whose owner Louis Rossman did a YouTube series on the difficulty small businesses have finding reasonable spaces.
#realestate #vacancy #rossmanrepair #louisrossman

View attachment 314
Ugh, sad to see these long time small businesses suffer. So many things needed to help this lifeline of the city...btw, looking great :)

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
This set of 3 vacant storefronts on East 23rd Street makes me sad. The pizza spot was opened by 2 brothers during the pandemic and I guess they just couldn't hold on (although it seems like bad planning to open during a pandemic without the resources to hang on for a year with no revenue). But the turnover here has been unreal. The spot before them was open barely a year as well, and I think when these 3 spaces re-open it will make 9 different businesses in these 3 storefronts in 4 years.
View attachment 316
damn, some spots are just jinxed, always wondered about locations like this.

I mean, what is the city planning to do to help out small businesses to get back up after the last year and the city starting to come back

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Supporting local retail. Using TooGoodToGo app which aims to reduce food waste. Got this huge bag of assorted bagels for $5.99 from Gramercy Bagels on 3rd Avenue and 20th St
#retail #food #gramercybagels #ToGoodToGo #foodwaste

IMG_20210629_181327_617.jpg

nicolebeauchamp

Supporting local retail. Using TooGoodToGo app which aims to reduce food waste. Got this huge bag of assorted bagels for $5.99 from Gramercy Bagels on 3rd Avenue and 20th St
#retail #food #gramercybagels #ToGoodToGo #foodwaste

View attachment 322
Downloading the app (not that I need more carbs -but glad to support local businesses

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Tons of frontage on Madison Square Park. I wonder why Jeff Bezos doesn't snap it up for some Amazon branded brick and mortar right across the street from his condo compound? IMG_20210624_181533739~3.jpg

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
What used to be Little India in the East Village - East 6th Street between 1st Avenue and 2nd Avenue - on a nice Monday evening in June. Just one single Indian restaurant open on the entire block. They used to be so ubiquitous on this street that a rumor started that they all shared one kitchen in the middle of the block.
#LittleIndia #restaurant #closures IMG_20210706_195341_731.jpg

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Most of the retail on the West side of 5th Avenue across from The Flatiron Building is vacant. Not only Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop - a neighborhood institution since 1929 - but a 7-11 and T-Mobile as well closed. IMG_20210702_161143514_copy_1152x864.jpg

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
A Tale of Two Cities on a Tuesday night at 9PM:
On East 20th Street between Broadway and Park Avenue South which is a victim of NYC gaslighting "Open Streets" (which means closed streets) program.

At the Broadway side which is closed (and Broadway restricted down to 1 lane, long being subject to Transportation Alternatives doctrine of "congestion on purpose") 2/3 of the block has all the restaurants totally or virtually empty. At the open end of the block with Park Avenue South traffic flowing every restaurant is practically at full capacity.

Which city do you want to live in?

#OpenStreets #ClosedStreets #SmallBusiness #CongestionOnPurpose #restaurant #transportationalternatives IMG_20210713_222947_614.jpg IMG_20210713_222947_615.jpg

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Everyone knows if you want to rent retail spaces it's all about signage. There was a big deal made over Blue Water Grill leaving it's space on Union Square West after more than 20 years following a proposed rent hike to over $2M in 2017. The space has been vacant for over 2 1/2 years and the rumors of a Chick-fil-A were apparently unfounded.

But none of this explains the current choice for promoting this glorious prime space. IMG_20210609_180301319_copy_1305x979.jpg IMG_20210609_180147432_copy_979x1305_1.jpg

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Aside from a Dunkin Donuts and an eyewear store (30 ft frontage?) the entire block between East 16th St and East 17th St facing the East side of Union Square seems to be vacant retail. IMG_20210726_190600401_copy_1152x864.jpg