Is "Back On Market" the new trend?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps it's my failing memory as I grow old, but over the past year or so I don't remember seeing many emails with "Back on market" in the subject line, but now it seems I'm seeing them daily. Any ideas what is behind this?

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
Hm, all I can think of is sellers are seeing the bids and activity coming back and are retrying? Off market is high, so one can argue supply we see now is the normal new stuff that would have come on - not the stuff that came off during 2020, so maybe that is still yet to come back on via BOM?

MCR

There are now 5 apartments in my building that I know want to sell but are not listing because they are hoping the future will be better (in addition to those that are already listed). I cannot imagine how many truly "off market:" properties there are. For every "back on the market" property, how many "still off market" or "waiting for a sunny day to list" properties are there?

Noah Rosenblatt

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Staff member
There are now 5 apartments in my building that I know want to sell but are not listing because they are hoping the future will be better (in addition to those that are already listed). I cannot imagine how many truly "off market:" properties there are. For every "back on the market" property, how many "still off market" or "waiting for a sunny day to list" properties are there?
such an interesting dynamic that is not being discussed as much as it should. Its been mentioned on the rental side, but to translate that to sell side is hard since the inventory is usually owned by one entity, and usually thats the owners vs say a management company of X thousand units