Does This Seem Scammy?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
I saw a video on Instagram for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath 57th floor penthouse @$3,500/month so I contacted the agent. First they asked when my people were looking to move. Then they asked "Male or female trying to occupy the apartment?"

Then they said they have to fill out an application before being told the address or being allowed to schedule an appointment.

Me:"They need to know where it is and see it first"

Them:"Ok, but they do have to apply for an application first to get you schedule for an appointment to tour the apartment"

Me:"I've been doing this for 40 years. I managed an office for JI Sopher who at the time was the largest rental broker in NYC (and one of the strictest). I've never seen tenants agree to fill out applications before seeing units unless it was for below market housing to be put on a waiting list. Certainly not before being given the address of the property. What are you hiding?"

Them:"We don't accept broker fee and It’s a refundable rental application fee of $100."
"Address: 57th Floor Penthouse
Manhattan’s 111 West 57"
"https://form.jotform.com/223275690286564"
"Once they have filled out the rental application form. You can let us know immediately"

Me:"Your (sic) saying this is a 2 br, 2 bath for $3,500/month at 111 West 57th St, 57th floor?"

That's the last I heard from NYC.apt.rental on Instagram.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Heard back.
Them"Yes, once the rental application form is filled. The both parties can take a tour of the apartment"

Me:"You should try and make your scams more believable"

Them:"I do appreciate"
"Good bye"

nicolebeauchamp

There was also, some other company, that would not share pricing per month unless the client filled out and paid an application fee (I forget the name of it off hand).

But yes to answer your question, sounds scammy for sure...

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
There was also, some other company, that would not share pricing per month unless the client filled out and paid an application fee (I forget the name of it off hand).

But yes to answer your question, sounds scammy for sure...
In this case a 2 br, 2 bath for $3,500/month at 111 West 57th St, 57th floor?

nicolebeauchamp

In this case a 2 br, 2 bath for $3,500/month at 111 West 57th St, 57th floor?
I don't remember - would need to go back in my emails/texts. This one was not via IG, but I remember because my clients would text and say hey what about this, and my answer was immediately no .
The price posted was somewhere around that, but for some ridiculously large UES apartments that start at 15K a month.