Crime on the rise?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
I've noted before that one thing sure to put a major crimp in NYC Real Estate is a rise in crime. It was signalled several months ago by Cuomo doubling the size of the Transit Police Force, the reaction to that of the FTP protests, and a number of other things I've posted about (like the Morningside Park stabbing).

I'm hearing some disturbing anecdotes from friends/acquaintances about people defecating on the street out in front of the Flatiron Building, junkies shooting up in many parks, friend of a friend laying in the hospital with his jaw wired shut after being jumped, multiple muggings/stabbings daily in the LES, and the general disolution of the social contract, which appears to be ignored by those reporting to the public (NYPD, Mayor, MSM).

If you are going outside, please be careful and mind your circumstances and surroundings even if you are in places which you are used to being safe and it is during daylight hours. As a friend noted "Act like it's the 1980s and you're in the hood."

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Back in the 1960s and 1970s I think one of the big drivers of flight was violent crime.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member

WATCH NYC Protests: Police & Protesters Clash at 88th & 84th Precincts

Police and protesters clashed at a number of regions in New York City tonight on May 29, including the 88th & 84th precincts. The protests followed intense Minnesota protests over the death of George Floyd, where the Minneapolis 3rd Precinct was overrun. You can see videos of the protests throughout this article.

Reports Online Indicated that At Least One Precinct Was Breached by Protesters
Reports on Twitter indicated the NYC precincts might have been overrun too, but other reports contradicted these and said the clashes were intense but the precincts had not fallen.

James A. Galgiano, a CNN law enforcement analyst, tweeted on Friday evening: “NYPD source informs me 88 Pct in Brooklyn just been overrun. Police Commissioner Shea has called a Level 3 mobilization. Requires all special units respond and four cars from every command in the city to location. 84 Pct under siege, as well. Also, Brooklyn North.”
He later clarified that 10-13 on the NYPD scanner means “officer in need of assistance” (on the federal side, he said, it means an officer is down.)

However, Bob Sorensen, a Long Island sports photographer and retired NYPD detective, tweeted a conflicting report. He wrote: “88 pct held strong. The NYPD does NOT lose a precinct.”

Meanwhile, Rob O’Donnell, a senior law enforcement contributor for Law Enforcement Today, tweeted that Gagliano was correct about the 88th precinct. He wrote: “I back up @JamesAGagliano on his reporting. The CO of the 88 pct called for immediate assistance from everyone available as their perimeter was being breached by a violent crowd, with vehicles being set a blaze. They also set up a triage for injured MOS in the 88 muster.”
(More)

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Looters hit Lower Manhattan, breaking SoHo store windows and lighting fires in second night of violent George Floyd protests
Frenzied looters went wild in lower Manhattan late Saturday, busting into designer stores and lighting small fires as cops tried to squelch the crime spree on the sidelines of massive protests over the death of Minnesota black man while in police custody.
About 300 people charged down Broadway in SoHo starting around 10:30 p.m., breaking windows with skateboards, crowbars, litter baskets and metal barricades.

At one high-end outlet after another — Adidas on East Houston and Broadway, North Face on Broadway, Nudie Jeans on the Bowery, Matt and Nat on Lafayette — the looters loaded jackets and handbags as they ran on foot and bicycled crazily through north and south of Houston.
At Broadway and Bleeker, they also struck a Swatch store.

Police said the roving gangs of looters hit at least a dozen stores in SoHo, Greenwich Village, and other parts of lower Manhattan.

Looters hit Adidas store in Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood of high-end stores on second night of violent George Floyd protests
One looter who gave his name as Saint, 20, who lives in Brooklyn, claimed justification because of the death of George Floyd, who died after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for more than 8 minutes.

“Why did they have to put their knee on that man’s neck?” he asked. “You have to answer that question for me first. It’s all senseless. That ’s why I’m here. That’s why I’m looting.”
Police chased the looters, but made no arrests. Cops didn’t approach the looted stores until the looters had moved on.

“We’re tired of playing by the rules and getting ignored,” said David Allen, 30, of the South Bronx. “We’re quiet for how many deaths? What do you expect us to do?”
At Union Square, a group of about 100 protesters set two trash cans on fire, sparking the arrest of one person on a bicycle who was tasered by officers in front of his horrified girlfriend.

“Get off my boyfriend! Get off my boyfriend!” she screamed, before she, too, was taken into custody.

Police cleared the square, threatening arrest for anyone who remained behind.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
More looting.
Looters destroy several NYC stores following George Floyd protests
Protests in New York City over the death of George Floyd on Sunday night devolved into chaos as small factions of demonstrators looted several high-end Manhattan stores.

Stores across the borough — including Chanel in Soho and Coach in Midtown — were targeted by unruly protesters in the fourth night of demonstrations over the death of Floyd, a black man who died in police custody last week in Minneapolis.

A group of roughly a dozen people were seen busting into the Chanel on Spring and Wooster streets shortly after 11 p.m. One man was spotted by a Post reporter making off with four bags.

Two men fleeing the store were arrested down the block by police who arrived about two minutes after the break-in.

At around the same time, according to social media footage, looters targeted a Midtown Coach store.
Similar scenes played out across Manhattan Sunday night.

In the East Village, a Walgreens, CVS, GameStop and a bike store were looted.

Social media footage shows groups of protesters busting into a Walgreens on 4th Avenue and tossing items outside through broken windows.

Another video posted to Twitter shows dozens of people inside a nearby GameStop on East 14th Street near 4th Avenue that had been broken into.

Several windows of the CVS on 14th Street and 5th Avenue were smashed and boxes of candy littered the sidewalk as about 15 NYPD cops guarded the store Sunday night.

At Trek Bicycle Bowery, a group of people made off with over a dozen bikes.
Ralliers from both Manhattan and Brooklyn each marched into the other borough, shutting down the Brooklyn Bridge in the process.

Crowds chanted “I can’t breathe” and “anti-violence” along the way.

But similar to the past two nights, once darkness fell, some protests became unsettled.

Besides the looting, protesters and cops clashed at a number of spots, including the Barclays Center and Bryant Park.

Mayor de Blasio late Sunday said he stopped by the Barclays Center to assess the situation.

“Just checked on situation around the Barclays Center. Lots of protesters moving around and plenty of police presence. On my way now to check on Lower Manhattan,” he tweeted.

Many high-end stores in SoHo were also vandalized on Sunday night, including Prada on Broadway and Ganni on Grand Street.
About 20 officers wielding batons were posted outside Prada Sunday night, screaming at protesters to “get off the street!”

A number of police vehicles were also again vandalized in Lower Manhattan

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member

SoHo "Gutted" By Looting As NYPD Continues Aggressive Crackdown On Protests

Shattered glass, bare mannequins, and flaming dumpsters littered the streets of SoHo in the early morning hours on Monday, as another night of tumultuous protests against police violence ripped through New York City, giving way to widespread looting in one of the city's wealthiest neighborhoods.
Bloomingdales, Chanel, Gucci, Coach, Supreme, and Louis Vuitton were among the retailers picked clean by 3 a.m., their previously boarded-up windows cast aside on the sidewalk. Groups of young people sprinted through the streets carrying sneakers and luxury items, as an army of officers bashed the windows of vehicles believed to be hauling stolen merchandise.
"It’s all gutted. Soho has been returned to the people," cheered Leah Elizabeth, a 23-year-old white Bushwick resident who said she supported, but did not partake, in the looting. "I hope everyone got something good."

Jake Offenhartz@jangelooff

· 17h

Replying to @jangelooff
Cops bashing windows of cars and pulling out passengers with stolen merchandise.

Embedded video

Sohos luxury brands have been gutted. Gucci, Channel, Coach are all empty.
View image on Twitter View image on Twitter View image on Twitter

1:54 AM - Jun 1, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Earlier in the night, some protesters had pleaded with their counterparts to stay focused on the message against police brutality. Samantha Williams Dale, a black 25-year-old, was one of several who physically stopped a rogue group from looting the Hat Club on Broadway near Bleecker Street.

“Because right now, if they have that as a picture that we looting, that’s gonna be the main story and that’s not the main story right here. The story right here is we need justice," she told the group. "My mom is an immigrant. She came here for me, an American citizen to be free. I ain’t free. I ain’t.”

When asked what she thought Mayor Bill de Blasio should be doing right now, Dale offered: “Defund the police, give the education the money, give us better healthcare and probably black people won’t be so mad.”
Another video posted to Twitter showed police hitting a man with their nightsticks inside a SoHo shoe store:

The plundering in Soho followed the fourth day of protests in New York in the name of George Floyd, whose death at the hands of a police officer has sparked roiling demonstrations across the country. Turnout for marches and rallies in the five boroughs swelled Sunday, and protesters overwhelmingly stressed that they came in peace.
But as darkness fell, violence between police and demonstrators erupted yet again. During one particularly chaotic arrest outside the Strand, an NYPD officer was seen on video pointing what appears to be a gun at fleeing protesters, after another officer was hit in the head by an object.
A witness who shared the video with Gothamist said the NYPD escalated the conflict, as thousands of nonviolent protesters arrived in Lower Manhattan after crossing the Manhattan Bridge at around 10 p.m.
"Police were swinging their batons wildly at the crowd," said the observer, who requested anonymity for fear of NYPD retaliation. "A protestor I think successfully hit a cop in the helmet with a baton. Then a protestor was thrown fully airborne and hit my legs. Then a few seconds later the cop with the gun emerged."
A spokesperson for the NYPD said the incident was under internal review. Attorney General Letitia James, who has announced an inquiry into the NYPD's "truly disturbing" tactics during the protests, said her office would investigate the arrest.
According to an NYPD spokesperson, there were more than 250 arrests during Sunday's protests. The spokesperson could not provide any details on the charges.
As the march through Manhattan turned chaotic, protesters and police were also engaged in fierce clashes outside Brooklyn's Barclays Center. In what has become a familiar scene, officers in riot gear charged at demonstrators, picking off individuals, beating them with batons and pumping pepper spray into the crowd at close range. The protesters would scatter but quickly return, the chase repeating itself once a protester hurled a bottle through the air, or sometimes for seemingly no reason at all.

· 20h

Replying to @jangelooff
Here’s another. Cops pile on and beat a woman after she shoves one. A lot of blood on the sidewalk, at least two people arrested, both appeared to be injured

Embedded video

Scary scene here. Cops sprinting down en masse after protesters. Provocation as little as a water bottle. Observers getting maced at close range

Embedded video

11:08 PM - May 31, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Only moments before the mayhem, the Barclays Center gathering had showed signs of shaking that pattern. Organizers who led the march for much of the day helped broker a truce with some police officials, who agreed to kneel and pose for photos in front of media. Similar scenes played out in Foley Square and Jamaica, Queens earlier in the day — with some officers wondering aloud if they would face trouble for the gesture.
But at the Barclays Center, many protesters said that the appeal for civility fell short of meeting the demands of the moment. They said that NYPD officers were taking a knee for publicity, while continuing to brutalize black and brown New Yorkers.
"We've tried that so many fucking times and it hasn't worked," said Hunter Dunn, a 22-year-old Lower East Side resident. "I'm not about to watch a cop kneel and say 'Oh good for you.' I'm mad. I deserve to be."

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Looters run through Manhattan, raid skateboard shop for more than two minutes before police arrive

Looters sack designer skateboard boutique Zumiez in the East Village in Manhattan on June 1st.

Relentless looters hammered away at the windows of a Manhattan skateboard shop and a Union Square department store Monday night with the NYPD nowhere in sight, shocking video from the scene shows.

One video, recorded by a Daily News reporter, shows a group of men, all wearing masks, using bats and wooden planks to pound at windows at Zumiez, a skateboarding apparel store at Broadway near E. 13th St. in the East Village.

A group of men, all wearing masks, used bats and wooden planks to pound at windows at Zumiez, a skateboarding apparel store at Broadway near E. 13th St. in the East Village.

A group of men, all wearing masks, used bats and wooden planks to pound at windows at Zumiez, a skateboarding apparel store at Broadway near E. 13th St. in the East Village. (Kerry Burke/New York Daily News)

They punched a hole in the window about 8:30 p.m. as a crowd cheered them on, then crawled inside en masse. More than two minutes go by before the lights and sirens of NYPD vehicles chase them away.

The looting started at the tail end of a massive march through Manhattan to protest police brutality and the May 25 death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

A group of men, all wearing masks, used bats and wooden planks to pound at windows at Zumiez, a skateboarding apparel store at Broadway near E. 13th St. in the East Village.

A group of men, all wearing masks, used bats and wooden planks to pound at windows at Zumiez, a skateboarding apparel store at Broadway near E. 13th St. in the East Village. (Kerry Burke/New York Daily News)

And though the protests started as largely peaceful, looters poured out of the crowd to ransack several stores, including to Kate Spade by Rockefeller Center, the Nike Store near Fifth Ave. and 20th St., and the Zumiez in the photo.

By 8:30 p.m., the protesters with signs and chants had cleared out of Midtown and the East Village, while the looters struck.

About 500 protesters returned an hour later, and the thieves used the crowd as cover, hitting a Banana Republic and Sephora store on Fifth Ave. near 18th and 19th Sts.

In several cases, police arrived after the looters struck, pulling their cruisers up to the curb to scatter the thieves but staying in their cars as the group ran off.

“It’s not just about George Floyd. It’s about people who can’t afford things," said one looter, a 22-year-old Bedford-Stuyvesant resident who gave the name Twin Moses. "We’re going to sell this stuff back on the street for a lower price. We’re getting our own back.”

Looting on Broadway and 13th Street in Manhattan, New York City on Monday, June 1.

Looting on Broadway and 13th Street in Manhattan, New York City on Monday, June 1. (Gardiner Anderson/for New York Daily News)

Another looter, who didn’t give his name, rushed out of the store with his arms full of hoodies, designer sportswear and skateboards. “They’ve been beating my a-- for 400 years. Now I’m going to buy my own chains. They call me black. Black America," he said.

Looting on Broadway and 13th Street in Manhattan, New York City on Monday, June 1.

Looting on Broadway and 13th Street in Manhattan, New York City on Monday, June 1. (Gardiner Anderson/for New York Daily News)

Another video shows looters climbing into and out of the Nordstrom Rack store at Union Square for two minutes, ignoring a percussive blast they’d set off.

The looters moved from store to store, hitting Cohen’s Fashion Optical, Foot Locker and the Uggs store, all of 14th St. between Fifth and Sixth Aves.

Police arrived in force about 9:45 p.m. — after the looters lit out. The block was strewn with hundreds of empty sneaker boxes on both sides of the street.

Dozens of looters also hit Harmon Kardon, Michael Kors, Microsoft and Coach store off Fifth Ave. in Midtown.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Macy’s, 5th Ave retail ransacked by looters on NYC’s first night of curfew
Mayor de Blasio says Tuesday curfew to begin at 8 p.m.

Prominent New York City retail spaces were hit by widespread looting on Monday night, as authorities followed cities across the country in introducing a curfew in response to protests and violence.
Looters gained entrance to the Macy’s flagship store in Herald Square, which had been boarded up, while others targeted stores like luxury retailer Bergdorf Goodman, a Microsoft store and a Barnes and Noble along Fifth Avenue, the New York Times reported.

Similar scenes had played out a night prior in Soho and the Flatiron District, when stores like Chanel, Adidas, as well as various smaller retailers saw their properties ransacked.
Much of the chaos had died down by 11 p.m., when the curfew came into effect, although there continued to be reports of fires and looting in the Bronx, Soho and elsewhere. Mayor Bill de Blasio said that a curfew would be imposed earlier on Tuesday night, starting at 8 p.m.

“We’re seeing too much of this activity tonight,” he told NY1.
Many of the impacted retailers were already struggling from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Groups of peaceful protesters also continued to walk the streets after 11 p.m. in parts of Manhattan and Brooklyn.

“They’re not with us!” one Whole Foods supervisor from Brooklyn told the Times, speaking of looters at Union Square. “It’s giving a bad name to us people who are out here trying to do the right thing, the people who walked away.”

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Man shot dead in Brooklyn while washing car, latest victim in spate of citywide shootings since Friday
A man was fatally shot in the neck while washing his car in Brooklyn on Saturday — the 18th person to fall victim to gun violence during a bloody weekend across the city.
Kenneth Singleton, 35, was cleaning his car outside his home on Milford St. near Blake Ave. in East New York around 11 a.m. when the gunman came up behind him and opened fire, police and witnesses said.
Medics rushed him to Brookdale Hospital where he died. No arrests have been made.
A video of the horrifying attack was released on Twitter by the NYPD Saturday, showing the victim hunching down while washing the car, the gunman boldly walking up behind him and then opening fire. The victim is then seen slumping onto the pavement.
By Saturday evening, neighbors gathered in front of his home to mourn him, but did not want to speak to reporters. His family declined to comment.
Relatives said NUSingleton had a son and was an entrepreneur who promoted his own clothing line.

“It ain’t suppose to happen to him,” his devastated uncle said. “He was an extremely good gentleman, he had a son, he was out here doing videos, doing his own thing. He was good kid.”
0Last month, neighbors said a man was fatally stabbed in the neck and stomach during a fight outside a deli on the same corner.

“It’s disgusting,” one woman said. “With all that is going on that’s disgusting. This is too much.”
Singleton is at least the 18th person to be shot in New York City since Friday, authorities said.
Eight people were shot but survived in two separate shootings in the Bronx on Saturday.

An additional nine people were shot in eight incidents on Friday — including 27-year-old Hassan Brown, who was killed in an East New York drive-by shooting that also wounded a 17-year-old teen.

The victims were parked in a gray Nissan on Stanley Ave. near Van Siclen Ave. just before 4:15 p.m. when a white Mercedes Benz pulled up next to the car and someone inside opened fire.

Brown was declared dead at Brookdale Hospital. His teen passenger was in stable condition.

Since Monday, there have been 33 reported shootings across the city — more than double the number of shootings reported during this week in 2019, when only 12 shootings occurred.
As of June 14, the city was reeling from a 24% jump in shootings across the city, from 317 this time last year to 394, officials said. Murders were also up by 25% from 127 to 159.

Police sources claim the violence since Friday was much bloodier with at least 21 people shot in a 24-hour span between Friday and Saturday. The NYPD could not immediately confirm those numbers.

“(This is) NYC shooting violence in 24 hrs thanks to New York’s FAILED politicians who lack the courage to tell the truth & now who suffers?” the Sergeants Benevolent Association wrote on Twitter. “Who are the real victims? Where are the phony politicians now? Take a bow DeBlasio, City Council, NYS Senate the body count is growing. You own it!”

John Walkup

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
I'm curious which buyers are looking at crime stats? If you're looking for a prewar classic 7 on the UWS, are you paying attention to the 20th Precinct's numbers? What about the buyer of a new dev condo in Greenpoint?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious which buyers are looking at crime stats? If you're looking for a prewar classic 7 on the UWS, are you paying attention to the 20th Precinct's numbers? What about the buyer of a new dev condo in Greenpoint?
If you are Jeff Bezos who bought $80 million of condos at 212 5th Ave or are considering buying one for $4.8 million to $11.6 million:
Or if you are debating whether you should close on your $3.85 million contract at 225 5th Ave:
Or if you're thinking of dropping $25 million on JLo's Penthouse when it inevitably comes back on the market:
Then I think you are definitely paying attention to this:

John Walkup

Talking Manhattan on UrbanDigs.com
Eh - maybe their security teams are paying attention but doubtful any of the ultra-wealthy are too concerned. I mean $80M in condos is a statement in itself. Imagine what that would kind of cash would get in CT or the LI Gold Coast. But gotta be the city and gotta be downtown!

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
112 injured or killed in 83 shootings over 9 days in NYC: 'I haven't seen anything like this in my entire life'
NEW YORK (1010 WINS) –
A spike in gun violence has left over 100 people wounded or killed in dozens of shootings across New York City over the past nine days, police said Sunday.

There have been 112 victims in 83 shootings over a nine-day period ending Saturday, according to police. Most of those shot were expected to survive, but several people have died and others suffered serious or critical injuries.
The NYPD on Sunday released this info detailing the nine-day stretch of shootings.
Friday, 6/19 - 8 shooting incidents with 9 victims.
Saturday, 6/20 -18 shooting incidents with 24 victims.
Sunday, 6/21 - 2 shooting incidents with 5 victims.
Monday, 6/22 - 11 shooting incidents with 17 victims.
Tuesday, 6/23 - 10 shooting incidents with 10 victims.
Wednesday, 6/24 - 3 shooting incidents with 5 victims.
Thursday, 6/25 - 5 shooting incidents with 8 victims.
Friday, 06/26 - 9 incidents with 10 victims.
Saturday, 06/27 - 17 incidents with 24 victims.
The NYPD said there have been 503 shooting incidents with 605 victims this year as of Saturday.
Amid calls to defund the police, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said last week that the city's homicide rate had hit a 5-year high and that the criminal justice system was "imploding." The number of people shot has risen 42 percent compared to last year.
Brooklyn community advocate Tony Herbert told 1010 WINS he's anguished over the rise in violence.
"It has just been ridiculous how it has taken place, because we saw a serious decline over a five year period and we have working relationships to work with our police department with their community policing," he said. "Now look at what we’re faced with. I have not seen anything like this in my entire life living here in New York."
Herbert wants a 10-year, mandatory minimum sentence for illegal possession of a firearm.
"No conversation, no plea bargain, you go straight to jail if you have an illegal weapon," he said. "I guarantee you we’ll reduce the amount of guns on our streets."
On Sunday, a woman who was shot in the head at a reported block party in Brooklyn was fighting for her life.
The 30-year-old woman was in critical condition at NYC Health + Hospitals/Bellevue after the shooting on Frost Avenue in East Williamsburg around 4 a.m. WABC reported the gunfire erupted at a block party.
A 31-year-old man also was shot three times, including in his elbow and hip, but he was expected to survive, according to police.
Citizen App video shows police investigating at the scene on Sunday morning.
On Saturday a man and a woman were shot to death in broad daylight outside a home in Brooklyn Saturday afternoon. Not far from the scene of that shooting, a man was shot and killed as he washed his car last weekend.

DOUBLE FATAL SHOOTING - Distraught family and neighbors gather outside a home on Van Siclen Ave. near Livonia Ave. as police investigate the fatal shooting of a man and a woman. @NYPDnews says no arrests have been made. #1010WINS https://t.co/OEcjgTRQZg pic.twitter.com/4TlIgkZG8W
— Darius Radzius (@DariusRadzius) June 27, 2020
Hours before the man and woman were shot and killed in Brooklyn, police said they’d arrested a 16-year-old man in an unrelated East Harlem shooting this week that left a 7-year-old girl and a 19-year-old man wounded. The suspect faces charges of attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police also announced Saturday that they'd arrested 27-year-old Ruddy Osias, of Queens, in the shooting death of 19-year-old Erica Lopez, of Connecticut, in Manhattan.
Lopez was shot and killed early Friday morning at the corner of East 26 Street and Fifth Avenue, near Madison Square Park, as she pushed a friend out of the line of fire. A 21-year-old man was wounded in the shooting.

conv

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
41 shot overnight in NYC with at least 4 dead in citywide explosion of gun violence

A 20-year-old man was fatally shot on a Brooklyn street early Sunday, cops said. The victim was blasted in the chest in front of a house on Atkins Ave. near Pitkin Ave. in East New York about 12:40 a.m., police said.

A 20-year-old man was fatally shot on a Brooklyn street early Sunday, cops said. The victim was blasted in the chest in front of a house on Atkins Ave. near Pitkin Ave. in East New York about 12:40 a.m., police said. (Theodore Parisienne/for New York Daily News)

Forty-one people were shot in New York City overnight, leaving at least four people dead, police sources said Sunday.
The shootings came as the sky was lit up with illegal Fourth of July fireworks in every neighborhood.

In the first fatal shooting of the night, a 20-year-old man was blasted in the chest in front of a house on Atkins Ave. near Pitkin Ave. in East New York, Brooklyn, about 12:40 a.m., police said.
Medics rushed him to Brookdale University Hospital but couldn’t be saved. His name was not immediately released.

In Harlem, a 23-year-old was fatally shot on W. 116th St. near Morning Side Park about 2:40 a.m. Police were notified of the shooting after the victim checked himself into a hospital and died minutes later, sources said.
A 19-year-old was fatally shot in the chest and a 27-year-old man was blasted in the left shoulder about 4:20 a.m. after a large dispute erupted on E. 39th St. near Avenue D in East Flatbush, Brooklyn, sources said.

Both victims were rushed to King’s County Hospital but the teenager couldn’t be saved. The older man was in stable condition, police said.
tinygif.gif

Just 40 minutes later, a 40-year-old man was fatally shot in the chest on Sutter Ave. near Mother Gaston Blvd. outside the Hughes Houses in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

The victim was rushed to Brookdale University Hospital, where he died, police said.
A 20-year-old man was fatally shot on a Brooklyn street early Sunday, cops said. The victim was blasted in the chest in front of a house on Atkins Ave. near Pitkin Ave. in East New York about 12:40 a.m., police said. The shooting came as the sky was lit up with illegal Fourth of July fireworks around the city.

A 20-year-old man was fatally shot on a Brooklyn street early Sunday, cops said. The victim was blasted in the chest in front of a house on Atkins Ave. near Pitkin Ave. in East New York about 12:40 a.m., police said. The shooting came as the sky was lit up with illegal Fourth of July fireworks around the city. (Theodore Parisienne/for New York Daily News)
Just half a mile away from the night’s first fatal shooting, a 22-year-old man and 23-year-old woman were shot on Euclid Ave. near Sutter Ave., police said. The man was shot in the chest while the woman was wounded in the right leg around 2:30 a.m. Both victims were taken to Brookdale University Hospital and are expected to survive, cops said.

In Harlem, a 26-year-old man was clinging to life after six people were wounded in a shootout that erupted at a party on 131St. and Lenox Ave. just before 1 a.m., police said.

Medics rushed four of victims to Harlem Hospital while two of the victims walked into the hospital later in the evening with gunshot wounds, police said.

There are no arrests in any of the incidents and investigations are ongoing, police said.

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
So where are the Riker's inmates going to be placed? The streets?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Mayor de Blasio unveiled new measures to stop the rising tide of gun violence in the city Friday, including an increased police presence in certain areas and getting clergy and community groups more involved in mediating disputes.
The city will increase the number of police on more than 20 streets and city housing projects as part of the plan and will organize “neighborhood walks” with community leaders and cops to show “common cause.”
“We cannot have people live in fear. We cannot have young people in the crosshairs. It’s not something we will allow in this city,” de Blasio said at a press briefing Friday. “We have to do better.”
De Blasio put specific emphasis on measures being implemented in Harlem, where construction worker Kenneth Brown was killed in a hail of bullets Wednesday.
As of July 5, there have been 33 shootings in Manhattan North, which includes all of Harlem as well as Inwood, Washington Heights, the Upper East and Upper West sides along with parts of Midtown. During the same month in 2019, there were 11 shootings.
Accompanying the mayor at his Friday press briefing was New York Sen. Brian Benjamin, representing Harlem, and Iesha Sekou, head of Street Corner Resources, a nonprofit “violence interrupter” program.
Sekou said one of the keys to her work is to de-escalate tense situations between rivals, but she raised hackles among city lawmakers after raising one scenario in which interrupters might physically remove someone from a dispute.
“Sometimes you have to grab a kid up once in a while and put him in the van and just say, ‘Look, you’re not getting out until we bring this down,’” she said.
City Council members Joe Borelli (R-Staten Island) and Bob Holden (D-Queens) slammed Sekou for the statement, saying it highlights precisely what’s wrong with the mayor’s new approach to law enforcement.
“Obviously, they’re not peace officers. They can’t forcibly hold someone against their will,” Borelli said. “I understand it may go against their kumbaya mentality, but we need the police for that.”
Holden described such an approach as “totally absurd” and worries someone could get hurt in a scenario like the one Sekou described.
“Have you ever tried to approach a New Yorker who throws some litter out of their car? It escalates,” he said. “Somebody’s going to get shot in the head. These are gang members.”
De Blasio praised Sekou for her remarks, calling them “profound truths.” He acknowledged that Sekou and others like her are putting themselves in “harm’s way” and “put their lives on the line” with the work they do.
But the implications of that remain unclear if someone were to get hurt. When questioned, the mayor’s press office and the city Law Department would not outline exactly what violence interrupters are legally empowered to do and whether they’re required to follow any specific safety protocols. City Hall spokeswoman Avery Cohen said that in the event of an injury or death, the nonprofit would be liable.
The mayor described the approach as a step away from an “occupying army mindset” on how to deal with violence, presumably a reference to the NYPD. Cohen said de Blasio “was describing the symbiotic relationship between communities and police we’ve built over the past 6 1/2 years.”
“He’s speaking very generally about the paternal role government has traditionally played without addressing root causes of violence,” she said.