Continuing Education For New York Salespersons/Brokers

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
If you are an old-timer like me you are probably used to being grandfathered in and not having to take the required continuing education courses in order to renew your license. Be aware that New York Department of State changed the requirements in 2021 and no one is grandfathered any longer.
Real Estate CE Update
Recent Legislation revising the Real Estate Property Law with regard to the continuing education requirements for real estate salespersons and brokers was recently adopted. Below is a summary of the major changes:

The amendment changes the course requirements for renewal. Specifically, new mandatory hours of education now include: “at least 2.5 hours of instruction pertaining to ethical business practices, at least 1 hour of instruction pertaining to recent legal matters governing the practice of real estate brokers and salespersons in New York which may include statutes, laws, regulations, rules, codes, department of state opinions and decisions, and court decisions”.
The amendment also REMOVES the 15-year real estate broker continuing education exemption and now requires all brokers who are currently exempted to complete continuing education starting July 1, 2021.

BTW I personally recommend Keep Me Certified School of Real Estate. I'm in the middle of using them again, it's only $45, and yes we get a referral if you use this link: