Board package responsibility

east30s

If a buyer contacts agent on StreetEasy who isn’t sellers agent , is that broker responsible for assisting in putting together board package or can sellers agent still assist ?

David Goldsmith

All Powerful Moderator
Staff member
Generally speaking if there are both a buyer's agent and seller's agent the buyer's agent assists the buyer in producing the application and then it goes to the seller's agent for review (AFAIK there are no fixed "rules" under the law about this). In terms of broker etiquette generally speaking the buyer's agent should be dealing with the buyer and the seller's agent should be dealing with the seller.

Could you be more specific about what's going on? Do you feel your agent isn't serving your needs?

Upstairs Realty

I agree with DG above that there are no fixed rules.

But I think what is getting lost in the modern tech-y world is that a long and complex board package is a feature, not a bug.

When properly done, they serve to connect the buyer and the building, provide a hesitant co-op board with an easy road map to approval, and are a strong arrow in the quiver of marginally financially qualified buyers. I find them agonizing, and yet they're one of my favorite parts of the job. 20181203_145123(2).jpg That said, they are weeks of work. So I think that any agent the buyer shows up with, whether they found them on StreetEasy or in the gutter or here in the rarified halls of Urban Digs forums, should do the bulk of the heavy lifting of the application, and then the seller's agent should review.

There are agents and services that will do board package preparation only, but I think that's a "you-get-what-you-pay-for" sort of scenario.

Ali
--
Alison Rogers
LIcensed Real Estate Broker
Upstairs Realty