Recent content by Mark

1. M

Brokers!! What are you seeing out there???

Single data point: as a buyer, I much prefer the open bidding process vs. secretive "highest and best" bid process. When I lose, I hate finding out that its because I missed the bid by a marginal amount. The closing cycle in NY is also soooo slow. I don't learn from the interaction for at least...
  2. M

Weekly deal volume nearing 350!

Very nice to see! Clarifying question, Noah: does "1 Week" in this ticker designate the past 7 days or is it Sunday - Sunday?
  3. M

Brooklyn Agents: what does townhome price action feel like currently?

Questions for agents in Brooklyn: What does townhome price action feel like currently? What types of townhomes are moving and what types sit? What are buyers looking for? Is there a premium for a certain level of finish or for certain amenities? Context: I'm about to do a renovation on my...
  4. M

300 Contracts Signed this week??

Can't wait for friiiiiiday's report!
  5. M

Deflation now. Inflation later.

Ah, I got it -- 'it will likely come at higher levels' == there's still more to go w/ s&p500 growth and it will look like a quick melt up followed by a melt down.
  6. M

Deflation now. Inflation later.

Very interesting theory/prediction. What do you mean by "it will likely come at higher levels" in this sentence: "Malinvestment and excess liquidity will cause a purge, but it will likely come at higher levels."? And, do you see there being an obvious trigger for the sell off? I'm not in...
  7. M

condo vs co-op appreciation

@Irene Sarri -- what was the simple verdict for your client's submarket (Lenox Hill, 1 bedrooms)? And how did the info affect your client's behavior? This was a really fun thread to read through.
  8. M

Stock Market Peak in 2021??

Where can we place bets on #TeamNoah's theory vs #TeamJohn's theory?
  9. M

Weekly activity down

I've seen many broad, negative conclusions about the entire NYC housing market use vanity metrics that aren't probative. I've also seen many broad, positive conclusion about other housing markets use vanity metrics while not zooming out enough with data to provide meaningful context. The NYC...
  10. M

How long for closed sale to get added to database?

I'm seeing "incomplete data" warnings for median sale price charts for Nov 2020 & Dec 2020. Roughly how long does it take for closed sale prices to be queryable?
  11. M

Strong Brooklyn Townhome Activity in December

"I seriously wonder if at some point soon the urban to suburban trade will reverse course, as suburban market value has fallen considerably over the last 10 months vs urban cities, whose markets were disproportionately affected on the downside." This is 100% gut, I have no data on this, but I...
  12. M

Strong Brooklyn Townhome Activity in December

According to Jonathan Miller's market reports, new signed contracts for Brooklyn townhomes were up 386% YoY, adding to month over month growth that started in the Summer. It's interesting to compare Brooklyn single family activity to competitor markets. Long Island excluding Hamptons/North...
  13. M

Anyone doing Talking Manhattan for Brooklyn?

Wonderful, can't wait!
  14. M

NYC's Product Problem

As a homeowner and young father, I couldn't agree more with Shaun Osher's crisp summary of a big issue with NYC residential development – the products stinks. Before buying a home in Brooklyn, my family put a realistic checklist together for our target neighborhood. Inventory was very, very...
  15. M

Anyone doing Talking Manhattan for Brooklyn?

I'm a young townhome owner in Park Slope/Windsor Terrace that's been independently keeping an eye on the Brooklyn market for quite a while now. Is there someone doing data-driven reports and industry talks about Brooklyn the way UD does for Manhattan?